miércoles, 14 de noviembre de 2012

Infinitive Of Purpose And Because 
 Is used to express the reason that something is done.

It forms the subject + verb + infinitive with 'to'

EXAMPLE I went to Madrid to learn Spanish.
(I went to Madrid to learn Spanish).

Question: Why do you go to the gym
(Why do you go to Gymasium?)

Answer: I go to the gym to get fit.
(I go to the gymnasium to keep fit)

A common mistake is that I go to the gym for getting fit - that is not correct English.

Can also be used with the expression in order to

EXAMPLE I went to Madrid in order to learn Spanish.

Answer the following questions with infinitives and then click here to see the resuestas.

1. Why did you travel to London? (go sightseeing)

2. Why do you walk to work. (save money)

3. Why did you go to the supermarket? (buy some cheese)

4. Why did he go to Scotland? (visit some friends)

5. Why did you phone your sister? (have a chat)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario